At the recent Tommy Flowers Network conference, I presented a five-minute session on my research as part of their “Lightning Talks”. Despite several practice runs and trimming the presentation to fit the time slot, I still managed to hit the time limit before I got to my final two slides.
After staying with the conference to watch the remaining presentations for that day, I decided to re-record a version of the same presentation that I am calling the Director’s Cut. In this one I take a bit more time to explain each step, with the result that it take a bit over ten minutes.
This is still pretty short, so even if you did see the rushed live presentation, I encourage you to take a look at this one, to get the full experience.
I did not have the time or space to include full references and image credits in this presentation, so they are included below:
- The airport image on slide 2 is from Carbon Brief
- The data center image on slide 2 is from The SSL Store
- The chart on slide 3 is from Zhao, L. et al. (2016). Fuel Cells for Data Centers: Power Generation Inches From the Server. (link)
- The presentation image on slide 5 is from a recorded lecture on YouTube from the American University of Armenia
- The logos on slides 6 and 9 are trademarks of the respective organisations
- The chart on slide 7 is from my own unpublished research
- The energy label on slide 8 is from Wikipedia
- The transistor datasheet on slide 8 is from the School Amateur Radio Club Network
- The miles per gallon infographic on slide 8 is from The Miles Consultancy
- The Pass/Fail image on slide 8 is from Stephen VanHorn